Over-the-water bungalows are seriously the ultimate bucket list item for most of the beach-obsessed creatures that I know. Actually, for everyone I know. Who doesn’t want to stay in a hut with the ocean below your feet, the sound of waves crashing, and salt water air to lure you into relaxation.
Many people think that to experience this exclusive and dramatic experience they will have to take out a second mortgage and travel halfway across the world to Tahiti or The Maldives. You may be surprised to know that you can enjoy the luxury of staying in one right in our backyard–The Caribbean!
While the stay itself definitely isn’t dirt cheap, you will save yourself a significant amount of travel time (and thus, more time relaxing) and pay significantly less on flights.
Even better? Most of these are found at all-inclusive resorts where the drinks (and butlers) are already included in the price.
- Sandals Royal Caribbean: Located in Montego Bay, Jamaica–you can fly direct from Chicago O’Hare and be settling down with a Bob Marley (a favorite drink @ the resort) minutes after arriving. This Over the Water Private Island Butler Villa includes floating water hammocks, glass floors, outdoor shower and your own personal butler. Starting at $1400 per person per night. Book it HERE!
2. El Dorado Maroma Palafitos: Voted as the #5 top resort in Eastern Mexico by Conde Nast Traveler, a palafito translates to “stilt house”. These palafitos combine the perfect mix of luxury amenities, endless sea-views and a peaceful atmosphere. Each suite comes with glass floors, private infinity pool and staircase with direct access to the sea. Flights to Riviera Maya can be found for as low as $400 roundtrip per person from Chicago O’Hare. Book it HERE!
3. Azul Paradise Resort: Starting at just $425/night this place is a STEAL! These bungalows are tucked on the Caribbean sea on the edge of a rain forest in Panama. A perfect retreat for those of you who like an “off the grid” experience.
4. Sandals Grande St. Lucian Resort: These butler-included all inclusive-bungalows deliver complete immersion of the turquoise Caribbean sea. Here you will find glass-bottom floors with lighting in the water below, private outdoor tranquility soaking tub for two, over water hammocks and outdoor showers. Get your personalize quote HERE!
5. The Old Man & The Sea Villas-Aruba: With only 5 over the water suites, personalized service can be found here! You can find easy and quick access to some of Aruba’s best marine life–great for scuba divers and snorkelers alike. Starting at $650/night.